HeartSmart walks programme
The HeartSmart walks programme provides volunteer-led guided walks at locations around the Chichester District with two to three walks per week throughout the year.
These walks are designed to cater for all ages and abilities, offering an opportunity to exercise and meet new people in a safe and friendly environment.
You must pre-book onto all our HeartSmart walks in the current programme. This is to ensure we can adhere to social distancing and government guidelines of a maximum of 6 people in a group. To book your place, please visit the Chichester District Council website (new window)
HeartSmart Walks – COVID-19 Guidance
Please find below the guidance for the phased return of the HeartSmart Walks
- Due to COVID-19, everyone needs to take steps to stay safe. Please follow all safety advice given by the walk leader, and keep 2 metres distance from anyone outside your household or social bubble. For more information, please view the Guidance for Walkers on the Walking for Health website
- Walks will be available to book one week in advance.
- Booking your place. If you would like to join a walk, please book a place online or call 01243 521041.
- There will be 5 spaces per walk until the guidance changes.
- If you are unable to attend, please cancel your booking so that someone else can take your place.
- Please do not turn up for a walk without booking as we will have to turn you away.
- Please be aware walks may be cancelled at short notice. All pre-booked walkers will be informed.
- We recommend that walkers travel separately and ideally don’t use public transport.
- You MUST NOT attend a walk if you are unwell or have any Covid-19 symptons. Symptoms include a high temperature, a new continuous cough and the loss, or a change to your sense of smell or taste. Find out more about COVID-19, and what you should do if you have symptoms on the NHS website.
- If you (or someone you live with) are at higher risk of getting seriously ill from coronavirus, you should take extra care to minimise contact with others from outside your household. Taking part in an organised walk may put you and those around you at higher risk. It may not be the right decision at this time. Remember – everyone over 70, and those with certain underlying health conditions are considered to be ‘clinically vulnerable’. You can find more information on the NHS website
For more information please email Chichester Wellbeing or call 01243 521041.
To read about the benefits of joining a HeartSmart walk, visit the South Downs National Park website and read the 'HeartSmart: Walking for Health' case study' (2018).
The list of websites below, provide lots of information about local walks in West Sussex:
- South Downs National Park website
- Natural England's Walking for Health website
- Sussex Wildlife Trust website
- Chichester Harbour Conservancy website
- Walking in Sussex website