Are you concerned about your own or someone else’s drinking?
People drink alcohol for all sorts of reasons and most of the time they find it enjoyable. However, the amount that people drink sometimes increases without noticing and it can start to impact their own wellbeing and the people around them.
How do I know if I am drinking too much?
Take the Alcohol Test on the DrinkCoach website.
This FREE and confidential test takes two minutes and will help you work out how much you are really drinking and how it could be affecting your health and wellbeing.
Help is available when you are ready
If you decide that you would like to make some changes to your drinking, the links to our web pages below will help you find the approach that’s right for you. When you are ready, you will have all the tools and support you need:
Low-risk drinking guidelines
It's safest not to drink more than 14 units per week, spread over three or more days and with a few days off.
If you drink most weeks, sticking to the following guidelines can lower the risk of harming your health:
- Men and women are advised not to regularly drink more than 14 units a week.
- Spread your drinking over three days or more if you drink as much as 14 units a week.
- If you're pregnant, the safest option is not to drink at all.
If you want to cut down how much you’re drinking, a good way to help achieve this is to have several drink-free days each week.
A unit of alcohol is about 1 very small glass of wine (125ml) or half a pint of regular beer. Find out how many units are in your drinks on the DrinkCoach website or watch this short film which explains what a unit of alcohol is.
Feel the benefits of reducing your alcohol intake
There are many benefits to reducing your alcohol intake, including:
Immediate and short-term benefits
- Feeling better in the mornings
- Being less tired and more energetic
- Better-looking skin
- Saving some money
Long term benefits
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower risk of stroke, hypertension (high blood pressure), cancer and liver disease
- Lower cholesterol levels
- Better mood, memory and quality of sleep
- Help with weight management